Brownifer Bites: Lumpia - First Try

Monday, June 13, 2016

Lumpia - First Try


I was born in Hawai'i and when we moved to the mainland, my aunt moved to the islands and years later, married a local boy.  So I've visited my birthplace often over the years and in the summers during high school, often I would stay for weeks at a time.  My Filipino grandma used to make lumpia in huge batches, and even freeze them and send them home with me so I could fry them up for an after school snack.  Dear Nana (nah-nah) passed away two years ago and the memories of her sweet self trying to feed us 24/7 has been on my mind.

Since Brownie and I love to cook and try new things, I thought ... why am I sad and nostalgic as if I'll never have lumpia again!?  So I stopped by the Asian food store and bought some wrappers.  I looked up some recipes online for filling and went to work.


These wrappers will take some practice, but ... overall I did pretty well!!  Nana would be proud :-)  I'm terrible at frying things, so Brownie took over once they were assembled.  I served them with simple crushed garlic and black pepper in vinegar just like Nana used to do.  The were delicious!  They definitely didn't have the love that Nana used to put into her own lumpia, but ... for a first try, I thoroughly impressed myself!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment