Brownifer Bites: Brownifer Pizza Sauce

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Brownifer Pizza Sauce

So ... everyone knows by know my obsession with making our own ingredients to avoid MSG and unnecessary food additives.  Pizza sauce is one of these things.  Thing #3 requested homemade pizzas for his birthday this weekend, so of course, sauce had to be made. We made enough sauce for 4 pizzas with some leftover, and the batches worked out so well that I'm contemplating doing it again and canning some for future pizza-making adventures! :-)

I realize the photos aren't glamorous - I was working in a hurry for family and all I had was my Blackberry camera - so I apologize!  I will update the photos from our next batch with an actual camera! :-)  Recipe below will make 1 batch of sauce - enough for approx. 1 pizza


Ingredients:


  • 5-6 fresh Roma Tomatoes
  • 1 Handful Fresh Basil
  • 1/4 Large Onion
  •  4-5 Large Cloves Raw Garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions:
  • Chop tomatoes into quarters, add all ingredients to blender until full
  • Blend into sauce (as seen below on left) - pour into sauce pan
  • Simmer on Medium heat (or higher if you're in a hurry and have time to watch it closely) until sauce is thick (as seen below on right) and ready to spread on your pizza dough.


You can see between these two pictures how far down our sauce cooked - it takes some time.  We started our 4 batches of sauce the night before and it simmered all night (I won't even tell you how late I was up - smaller batches cook down faster, I promise!).  Watch it CAREFULLY and stir often.  The sauce will settle and scorch quickly if it isn't stirred frequently enough.

I have always received compliments on my pizza sauce and this batch was no different.  There is just nothing that compares to homemade!!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment